Monday, 3 December 2012

Documentary Screening and Feedback

On Friday Alex and I presented our documentary film Rock Climber and Chris gave us feedback.

The first issue that we had was in exporting the file to a Quicktime movie.  We noticed that the ratio of the film looked wrong.  It was as though it was 16:9 but squished a bit flatter.

The film itself looked quite good on the big screen and I'm quite happy with it.  Although when it got to the scene where I had put in a cut away to a gritstone landscape, I realised that it didn't work so well.  This was a cut that I had been undecided about because I thought it might look too 'show and tell'.  It did.



The other issue that we had, as I mentioned in a previous post, was the fact that the mac that we were using had run out of disc space and because we had been going in at night to work on it, no technicians or tutors had been around to sort it for us.  Chris rectified the problem when we came in for the session on Friday but by then it was too late to get the music file that we wanted off the other computer and download it onto our mac and then incorporate it properly into the film.

Because there is a short piece of music / tone going in that section we had sorted all the other audio ready for it.  Which meant that when the film was screened there is a very short section which is a couple of seconds long that has no audio at all.  This sticks out a lot without the music track laid down.  If I'd known that we weren't going to able to lay the track down in time I would have compensated for it by putting an atmos track in it's place so that it blended better for the screening.

Chris gave us some good, constructive feedback.  His first comment was regarding the aspect ratio in the export.  He said he could see what had happened and would show us what we had done wrong, and how to avoid doing it again in the future.

He picked up on the lack of audio where our music track should be and where the music would be loudest.  (Although to be honest, Chris only pointed out the gap in audio and said that the rest of the audio was okay, so maybe we don't need the extra music track at all and should put in some appropriate atmos instead.)

Chris commented on the need for voice over earlier on and he was right.  We go from the opening montage into a bedroom montage and it needs the voice over intro to come in at the start of the bedroom training scene.  He also said that we need a voice over on the final scene to finish the film, Alex and I agree with this.

All in all, I am pleased with the feedback.  We will make the suggested changes ready for when we submit at the end of the semester.

   



  

No comments:

Post a Comment