Last night Alex and I met up again and spent another four and half hours on the editing of our Rock Climber film. We began by reviewing the changes that we had previously made. I noticed that there was an unnatural link between a shot of injured hands with voiceover and the silent Stanage Edge landscape. I felt that we needed to go back to seeing the interviewee after he has shown us his hands, so I out in a visual of him to see if that closes the interview better. I'm not sure if it works so I have left it in for now and will look at it afresh today. I also did something that contradicts what I wrote in my previous post. I said that cutting to visuals of everything he says might end up a bit 'Show & Tell' but having watched it back yesterday I decided to put in a visual of gritstone even though he is leant against gritstone when he is talking about it. I also reversed the clip that I used so that it flow better in the sequence. To accommodate the gritstone clip I split the interview clip and got rid of the last part of the visual but kept the audio so that the interview plays under the new gritstone clip.
Again, I'm not 100% sure that this works. I will review it today. If we don't think it works we can easily switch back to how it was, but, as seems to have been the policy throughout this project, it's worth experimenting to find out if something works or not.
Alex and I played the film through a couple of times to get the flow of it so that Alex could compose the music track for the practice climbs scene. He tried several variations which contain a build up, starting on the final bedroom scene, and then gathering pace as he practices the climbs, and falls off, then masters the climb and gets over the top.
I particularly liked one tune that Alex composed that had a couple of stuttering notes in it, as it matched the film of the climber not quite getting the climbs right.
We tried many different tunes until we decided on one that fits the best. Because of the lack of disk space we couldn't lay the track down last night and will sort it out today.
While Alex was working on the music and synching it to the visuals I took the best atmos audio from clips to fit under the footage where the atmos audio didn't work.
Again, we had a really good session where we both worked really hard and discussed ideas and shared the work.

.png)
No comments:
Post a Comment