Tuesday, 11 December 2012

Comedy Editing: Problems Getting into Final Cut Pro

Last night (Monday) I came into the edit suite to settle down and break the back of the last of the labelling of clips and the assembly of clips on the timeline.

I have spent a lot of time sorting out a schedule in order for me to finish the filming and editing of my Wednesday Experimental film assignment (to be done in pairs) and also to research the life and works of John Smith and produce a bibliography and essay plan for that assignment.  In addition to this I have notes to write up and two blogs to keep updated.  So I am pleased that I have prepared a schedule and managed to manage my time. 

This means that I am coming into the edit suite at about 6pm each evening to spend approximately three hours an evening on my comedy edit.  I like this arrangement as it means that the edit suite is usually less crowded, and I am not sitting in on a class (the noise of which is very distracting, and the environment very uncomfortable).  When the edit suite is quiet after hours I can work a lot more effectively.

Last night I came in to work on the edit and tried to log onto the machine that I had been working on on Friday, however this machine (1-22) wouldn't let me log on at all, despite many attempts, neither would the neighbouring machine (1-23).  I tried a further five computers over the course of the next hour.  These would let me log on but wouldn't let me open Final Cut Pro due to scratch disk issues.  At each stage of opening Final Cut I got an on screen error message on each computer saying: Non Writeable Scratch Disks, one or more does not have read / write access.  As I don't know what to do to remedy this, and because there were no technicians around at this time, I had no option but to choose the quit option, which closed Final Cut.


After the seventh time of trying to log on, and having spent an hour going from machine to machine without successfully opening Final Cut Pro I gave up.  I figured that if the scratch disk error message was coming up on five different machines, then it will most likely be doing it on all of the remaining machines (should I be able to get beyond the logging in stage!).


I emailed Chris to report this issue and hope to get a response of how to fix this problem before I go in tonight.

I did ask the other people using the room if they new how to fix the scratch disk issue.  Nobody did know but I was told by one person that the reason that I might not be able to log onto the first two machines is because "the network always fucks up after a certain time"!  

I have to say that I am annoyed that every time we are set a task, indeed every week when we turn up for the class on a Friday, there is always technical issues with the computers or the networks in the edit suite.  I often have to go from computer to computer finding one that works properly.

Now I have lost an entire evening's worth of working hours and wasted two lots of bus fares getting into Sheffield.
      

No comments:

Post a Comment