In today's session Chris gave feedback to some of the rough cuts and to my assembly as it stands.
Two other people in the group have done the same dinner party scene as I have chosen so the feedback for their rough cuts was really useful to me, as well as the feedback for my own assembly.
Chris advised us all to not start the scene at the point where Alf and Jane are approaching the house, but to start it at the actual dinner party.
He also said that the cramped dining room meant that the scene wasn't staged very well so we had to be careful when cutting clips together. I noticed that the actors did certain shots in a couple of different ways, for example, when Sandra asks "Who doesn't like beef?" for one take she is standing up and for another she is crouched down talking to Alf at his sitting height. This had a knock on effect to how I chose to cut the clips either side of the shot / take that I decided to use.
In reviewing the clips I initially thought that there was a continuity error involving wine glasses but as I watched them again I realise that the character of David is supposed to be a bit inept at social situations and that he is actually only filling his own wine glass throughout the dinner. This is a gentle sight gag (very gentle) that I don't think works. For this to work we should have the other characters acknowledging this social faux pas. Perhaps pushing forward their own glasses slightly and David just not picking up on the hint.
Chris advised us to concentrate on the burgeoning relationship between Alf and Jane rather than just an overview of the dinner party. He reiterated that we have the option to choose not to include any dialogue that isn't necessary and to use the script as a guide.
Another comment that Chris made was to not have the door opening and closing all the time. This is something I had done on my assembly, have one door close and another door open. He was right though. I changed it and as a viewer you do already presume that you are now inside the house and waiting for dinner so the prolonged shots of doors opening and closing aren't needed. It looks neater and flows quicker (more comical) this way.
No comments:
Post a Comment