In Friday's session we continued working on the edit of the Rock Climber documentary.
Alex and I have been working hard to make a plan of action and sort out the inherited project. We decided that the best approach was to strip the film right back and effectively go back to the start and approach it as if seeing it for the first time.
Therefore we began by reviewing all the footage and labelling and categorising the clips. This helped us to get a good idea of the film as we envisage it playing out.
This process of reviewing the footage also gave me the opportunity to get to grips with the different locations and head off any potential continuity issues. For example not mixing up clips of two of the climbs where the climber is wearing slightly different outfits.
We also listened as Chris explained that we need to be "telling a good story" and that requires a good performance. If we include bad performance then we lose people who are watching the film. That was an interesting point for us as I have already discussed with Alex how I don't like the 'waking up in bedroom' scenes and want to get rid of those. These scenes are what the inherited film opens with and I want to do away with them completely. This shows why we are starting from scratch, we don't like or trust the film as it's laid down at the moment. I think there is some good bedroom footage of the climber using the climbing wall, and when we create our new assembly it will be interesting to see if there are clips that show him hanging on the wall or hand holes in his bedroom that resemble the positions that he is in during a climb and see if this could be cut together. I also want to change the order of the climbs / locations so that we finish with the shot of the climber walking off into the mist at Curbar Edge having done his climb, as I think this would make a good natural ending and is a very interesting shot.
In reviewing the clips during the labelling process Alex and I identified the clips that include the interviews and listened to them through, putting in markers to identify interesting or pertinent speech that we would use as voice over for the film. I think we are erring more on the side of doing the narration in voice over rather than an on screen interview as a lot of the filmed interview has camera movement issues and, with respect, the climber isn't very interesting to watch when he is just sat down talking. Because there is only one person shown in the film, and because the interview questions are answered in the first person singular, it wouldn't be confusing for the audience if we didn't show the climber talking. The viewer will automatically equate the narration in voice over as the singular person on screen.
In this session we finished all the reviewing and labelling, we marked out the interview files, we deleted all the unconnected files from the inherited sequence timeline and we have made a plan for how to proceed. We will be deleting the rest of the clips from the inherited timeline but kept them there whilst we labelled all the footage and interview clips. Even though it isn't at all how we want our final film to be, it did serve a purpose in being a quick reference to locations and there were some good cuts that we may use.
I am currently working on a storyboard to help us visualise the running order of the film, and Alex has had some really good ideas about the design of the film that I like a lot. We are thinking about pumping some energy into the film by making it more snappy, using an exciting music track and putting in quicker cuts. At the moment it looks like a bit 'Last of the Summer Wine' whereas we want it to feel more MTV / Extreme Sport!



No comments:
Post a Comment