Saturday, 3 November 2012

The Use of Sound in Film

Part of the feedback from my Night Journey assessment was about my sound effect levels being, as Chris put it, "All over the place".

I know that part of the problem was that I was working on my own at that point and could really have done with (and in hindsight, should have gotten) somebody else in to listen to it and give feedback at the editing stage.  

Because of this I am watching films and paying particular attention to the sound and the way that it is used.  Hopefully this will help me to recognise what works, and what doesn't, in my edits.

When I assemble and cut footage I think I instinctively know when something hasn't worked.  It may be because it breaks the flow or seems an unnatural cut.  (For example, the corridor scene in Night Journey that I doubted when I was editing.  I should have gone with my instincts and kept it out all together.)   I hope that I can become better at recognising this with the sound editing also.

Last year we were shown a clip from The Thin Red Line in one of our sound workshops to show how sound editing in post production works and how sounds are manipulated to highlight poignant things such as, in this film, the silence as the troops approach a danger zone and the only sound is the wind blowing the grass. 

Watching films now I am conscious of the way that sound is arranged on films and how false some of the sounds are, for example car crashes and loud punches to the face (I have punched, and been punched in the face and it doesn't sound in real life like it is portrayed in films) and how volume levels are used to guide us through what we are meant to hear and therefore highlight what we are supposed to be focusing on on screen.


Having watched the film a couple of times since we saw the clip last year, two other things, apart from the use of sound, struck me about The Thin Red Line.  Firstly, the camera is very smooth and flowing, or static, whilst the troops are stealthily heading for the attack or are in a position of safety but once the fighting starts and chaos ensues the camera work is handheld, shakey and erratic which sweeps the viewer up into the confusion and desperation of the fighting.  This worked really well.  The second thing I noticed was the occasional cut away to images of nature.  These, I feel, are placed within the film to remind the viewer of the natural beauty of the landscape and the country in which the war is taking place and the destruction of nature that war causes (including the loss of human life). 

The consideration of the shots and cut aways used in the editing, and the very effective use of sound, creates a wonderful film.  The combinations engage the viewer and create moods, and feelings, and tension and confusion.  I'm really glad that I was introduced to this film and am able to recognise and analyse the elements of the film and the film as a whole.

No comments:

Post a Comment