After watching the film through again today, we decided that we do want to swap some scenes around so that it creates a clear narrative arc. Previously we had the montage, followed by titles, then big climb then training in bedroom, then practice climbs and falling off, then two more climbs.
The way that it will run now is that the practice climbs and the training will come before the big climbs and the scene where the climber reaches the top and surveys the landscape.
We have also made a to do list of things that still need working on:
- Swap clips round
- Decide whether to use two different pieces of music or stick with the intro music throughout
- Trim the montageclips
- Zoom in on clip where we can see bystander on edge of screen
- Sort out the atmos sound and dialogue levels
- Colour correction to over exposed scenes
- Colour correction to 'practice' scenes where the camera is at two different angles and colours don't match up right as light has changed
Feedback:
Chris's feed back on our rough cut was really useful.
He said that it was a good rough cut and proceeded to make the following suggestions:
For the final cut, we should trim the clips in the montage and rearrange them into an order whereby clips are visually connected. I've been practising editing montages as I find them really fun, so I was particularly interested in his suggestions. Chris showed us how the rise in the string section of the music would fit best to a shot where the camera pulls away, and how that clips links with a previous clip rather than where I had put it. In addition, three clips that I used in the montage all had a camera wobble in them, which I thought was quirky and interesting movement, which is why I included them, but Chris showed us that if we put the three together it continues a theme and the viewer sees that its deliberately used and the movements merge together to make a nice sequence that is interesting to watch. He also put together the two clips that had a focus on the climber's hands and showed how they worked well placed together.
Chris suggested that 30 seconds is long enough for the montage, any longer and it could become boring, plus the music can get quite annoying after a while and we don't want to antagonise the viewer.
Chris also looked at the black and white section and made a huge difference to the scene just by upping the contrast to give a more defined black and white, rather than grey colour. This worked particularly well on the climber's body as it defined his muscles and made him look very athletic. In the end though Alex and I agreed that Chris that the black and white didn't really suit the film. It was worth experimenting with it though, for the experience. I'm not sorry that we tried it out.
The other thing that Chris said was that he agreed with us about swapping the scenes around so that we create a narrative arc. The intro montage, the titles, then the practice / falling off scenes then the big climbs.
All in all I was really pleased with our feedback. Chris made some really constructive suggestions on how we might proceed and changes we might consider. Some of the suggestions Chris made verified what Alex and I had already been thinking, so gives us confidence to make those changes.
Alex and I have worked well together, and worked hard prepping and structuring our film, so we are pleased that we are on track with it and will have a good film to submit at the end.

No comments:
Post a Comment