As I wrote in one of my previous posts, I thought I might have been a bit naive in deciding against using any of the daytime city 'Amsterdam' footage in my cut of the Night Journey.
Once I had logged all the clips I thought I would look again at how I could make a pacey and interesting scene from the clips and whether it would be relevant to the film. (I knew that I wanted the film to be about the relationship between the two travellers and the unease that develops between them.) I jotted down some ideas and drafted a rough storyboard of how I visualised the scene.
Then I watched the clips in that order and drew a more detailed storyboard with the clips in the order that I visualised them. In my heart of heart I knew all along that my initial instincts had been right and the scenes wouldn't contribute to the film, but I needed to go through the process before I discounted the idea entirely. So, although it meant extra work I am glad that I tried it out and came to a considered conclusion that an Amsterdam scene wouldn't work.

No comments:
Post a Comment